The new normal: Mountain guiding during the Covid-19 pandemic. The Scottish Government has been working to a four phase plan: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Framework for decision making. This is Scotlands route map for exiting the crisis, and gives an indication of when Mountain Assurance Ltd will be in a position to resume guiding activities in Scotland.
Currently, we anticipate that this will be from the 15th July onwards. Our first priority will be to reschedule bookings from earlier in the season where we can. In addition we also welcome enquires for climbing and mountaineering activities in Scotland, please feel free to get in touch.
Inevitably, we will need to make some adjustments to how we operate as we seek to mitigate the risks associated with covid-19. We will follow government advice, and that of the British Mountain Guides (BMG) and International Federation of Mountain Guiding Associations (IFMGA).
We will endeavour to remain flexible in our plans in an attempt to reduce the pressure on popular areas, and maintain social distancing. The good news is that there are plenty of remote locations that we can visit, and we are happy to explore with our clients.
Given the concern in rural communities of covid-19 transmission we hope that participants will help us to maintain high standards, and deliver covid secure activities. In turn, we would like to request that you take these additional precautions:
- Immediately prior to any guided trip you should be free from the symptoms of covid-19, and not be in a position where you need to self isolate for any reason. Coronavirus Advice – NHS Inform.
- Please bring your own equipment wherever possible. Particularly, drinks, lunch and snacks, safe equipment and first aid kit etc.
- Please bring hand gel and a face covering should this be required.
- Be prepared to travel separately and meet outdoors in an attempt to reduce car sharing.
- Be prepared to maintain social distancing measures e.g. 2 metres spacing where possible.
- Please contact us if you develop the symptoms of covid-19 following your trip with us.
- Ensure that we have an updated Booking Form and Medical Information Form prior to your trip.
At this time of year we would already be delivering a busy summer of guiding in Europe based from Chamonix Mont-Blanc. Travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) recommends against all but essential international travel outside the UK. As such, all of our alpine trips have been cancelled or remain on hold subject to further information. From the 4th of July some alpine countries namely France, Switzerland and Italy were exempted from this FCO advice, on the basis of a reduction in the risk of transmission of Covid-19.
Various alpine countries have started to come out of lockdown with some welcoming tourists. For updates please visit the IFMGA Coronavirus Information Page.