Mountain guiding during the Covid-19 pandemic. The Scottish Government has recently issues new guidance: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Strategic Framework update – February 2021. This sets out how the Scottish Government plan to restore, in a phased way, greater normality to our everyday lives.
Although the dates are speculative it goes give an indication of when Mountain Assurance Ltd will be in a position to resume guiding activities in Scotland.
Assured Training and Assured Expertise during Covid-19
At the moment we are also taking limited bookings for work at 1:1 with residents in Highland, such as specific training for instructors and guides. See Assured Training.
For leaders, instructors and guides who are navigating through the National Governing Body (NGB) Awards, maintaining CPD or simply planning to bounce back post lockdown: Mentoring and Coaching continues. In some cases this can be provided online.
Our services under Assured Expertise, such as Technical Advice to assist individual leaders, instructors, guides and providers also continue. So if we can help you to be the best that they can be in their own areas of operation post lockdown please get in touch.
Assured Experiences – Guiding
Our mainstay activity of guiding in the mountains is now possible for those who have to travel larger distances. We welcome enquires for climbing and mountaineering activities in Scotland, please feel free to get in touch.
Inevitably, we will continue to make some adjustments to how we operate as we seek to mitigate the risks associated with covid-19. We will follow government advice, and that of the British Mountain Guides (BMG) and International Federation of Mountain Guiding Associations (IFMGA).
We will endeavour to remain flexible in our plans in an attempt to reduce the pressure on popular areas, and maintain social distancing. The good news is that there are plenty of remote locations that we can visit, and we are happy to explore with our clients.
Given the concern in rural communities of covid-19 transmission we hope that participants will help us to maintain high standards, and deliver covid secure activities. In turn, we would like to request that you take these additional precautions:
- Immediately prior to any guided trip you should be free from the symptoms of covid-19, and not be in a position where you need to self isolate for any reason. Coronavirus Advice – NHS Inform.
- Please bring your own equipment wherever possible. Particularly, drinks, lunch and snacks, safe equipment and first aid kit etc.
- Please bring hand gel and a face covering should this be required.
- Be prepared to travel separately and meet outdoors in an attempt to reduce car sharing.
- Be prepared to maintain social distancing measures e.g. 2 metres spacing where possible.
- Please contact us if you develop the symptoms of covid-19 following your trip with us.
- Ensure that we have an updated Booking Form and Medical Information Form prior to your trip.
At this time of year we would already be delivering a busy summer of guiding in Europe based from Chamonix Mont-Blanc. We are currently waiting for further clarity on international travel advice, and look forward to providing more information when we have it.
The situation in various alpine countries are changing rapidly. For updates please visit the IFMGA Coronavirus Information Page.